Monday, October 17, 2011

Standardized testing

Last week we had our first Interim assessment. For my juniors, this meant taking a practice ACT. I have very clearly one student who does not need to be taking the ACT, and I am working on the case to get her out of it. However, I have 12 other students with IEP's, maybe six or seven of whom really can and will benefit from taking this test. The five or so really struggle with it. They are clearly too far behind to even acess the material and therefore end up with scores in the low teens and little improvement.

My school is a college prep school. It also likes to say recently that it is starting to prepare students for life after high school too. As great as that sounds, and I appreciate the new mindset, we still require every student to take standardized tests their whole high school career and base everything we do in the classroom off of those tests. I never remember focusing so much on a standardized test when I was in high school. But then again, was I just better prepared and "well rounded" enough to do well without having to prep for it everyday?

No comments:

Post a Comment